PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Direct Entry Second Officer
Old 29th Mar 2019, 06:24
grind king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be forewarned

I’ve been with CX many years. I am also from North America and I am very in touch with what is happening in the industry in both parts of the world. I too was once young and was trying to start my aviation career and loved the idea of flying big shiney jets around the world. Then I got married, then we had kids. Suddenly the prospect of living in HKG for the rest of my career wasn’t as enticing as when I was young. The smell of the big shiney jet, quickly disappeared but the money was still good (better than my home carrier) and bases were an option. Fast forward 15 years and the money had dwindled and bases are few and far between. The money on offer may seem huge, but when factoring cost of living in HKG it’s not that great. In the end it’s not about the money you make it’s about the money you put in your pocket. ​​​​​. If given the option of my home carrier or CX for about the same money, take the home carrier any day. I know guys at AC that are flying wide bodies at Rouge day one. Now the industry in North America is moving so quick, once you find your first job you’ll be in an airline cockpit soon after. CX has been very good to me and supplied me with a great lifestyle but much has changed during my time there. Anyway, do your research, listen to other guys, and compare your options, there are many.

Good luck