PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 stick shaker event near Hong Kong
Old 28th Mar 2019, 22:10
machtuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KABOY
Acting at less than 'optimal performance' in a situation that is non normal due to poor pilot input I think sums this up. This event occurred due to poor airmanship and the recovery demonstrates this.

Placing an aircraft in an unstable state and recovering like this crew did raises multiple questions on automation management and disciplined recovery techniques. Aviate, navigate, communicate is still a valid concept on modern airliners.

Pilot training was Boeings first defence in the MAX accidents, Airbus was the same following Air France. Airbus thankfully only suffered one unreliable airspeed that led to deaths, a second would have seen the same outcome as Boeing. It was only through pilot training, experience and correct recovery that prevented a second significant loss of life.

I am sickened by the Qantas PR spin that the FO had their head looking out at other traffic in the holding pattern to ensure separation , shame I can't do that in IMC.

There is no sugar coating what is effectively a loos of control by three pilots on the flight deck. Three pilots having a bad day leads to a lot of questions, drawing WW1 parallels is a long bow.

well said - we could also add the human element of being punished, punitive actions and the consequences are forever in a pilots mind, I'd say this event shows exactly that by the way the Capt responded in his recovery actions by not wanting to go outside the Std Hldg pattern. Once an event happens like this there would be a high proportion of thought going into " oh sh1t we are in trouble now"!!
Humans only ever learn by their mistakes which we shall continue to do so for all time!