PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling approach for the straight in runway
Old 28th Mar 2019, 15:48
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lantirn
Really? My minimums for this plate on circling are 2.4V. Lido provider. Strange.
Yep, indeed, Lido shows 2400 m as visibility requirement!

Originally Posted by Lantirn
The question is:
Are you allowed to execute a circling approach for the straight in runway? More specifically, are you allowed to lose contact with the runway environment (due to aircraft movement-and not due to external weather conditions) when maneuvering for the downwind?
Some say yes, some say no. That’s the discussion.
Originally Posted by sonicbum
The flight maneuvers should be conducted within the circling area, and in such a way that a visual contact with the runway, or the runway environment, is maintained at all times.
To me it is pretty clear Your example is not allowed.
And I would think that it's ok if you don't see the rwy temporarily by airframe obstruction.
I would think that it is ok to temporarily have the rwy sight obstructed by the airframe while joining downwind as long as you stay within the circling visual manoeuvring area. The rule was ment to indicate that it's not ok to loose sight of the rwy due to reducing visibility or entering clouds. Would you want a high wing aircraft to go around if the wing hides the runway temporarily when turning to base leg? Or a low winged aircraft that loses sight of the rwy when he banks away from the center line to join downwind for the opposite rwy? In your interpration that would oblige the pilot to abandon the circling!

Take a look at the LGIR VOR 27.

I think it would be perfectly LEGAL to maintain 1140 to IRA 1.5DME (Too high for straight in) continue overhead and then turn right to join downwind for rwy 27. I think that would be legal and not more dangerous then circle to land for rwy 09.