PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2019, 00:47
BobM2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Salute!
BobM2

The STS running backwards was from a photo or copy of an entry by the previous Lion crew. It was early in the Lion crash threads. And the lack of entering the shaker on the normal log or squawk book is obvious. And nothing about turning off power to the trim motor? Hmmmm....

What at would YOU do if you knew the previous flight had the shaker going on and manual trim was required because they had turned of trim motor power?

Gums asks...

The first question should be "what would maintenance have done?". Hopefully more than just resetting breakers & cleaning cannon plugs. Of course the airplane had been flying revenue trips for 3 days in an unairworthy condition with capt "unreliable airspeed & altitude". Were they flying that way in RVSM airspace? Maintenance that was done had only made it much more unairworthy with continuous stick shaker & "sts running backwards", but "just press on". Do they not get paid if they cancel a trip or was it a hot date waiting in Jakarta? Indonesia has one of the worst safety records & from the operation of this "airline" I can see why. Do they carry maintenance discrepancies to the next D-check in 20,000 hrs? Of course, it's easy to blame Boeing for not selling them an airplane that can fly safely with mounting unairworthy discrepancies for an indefinite time. Three days is not nearly enough.
What would I have done? On my airline, I would have sat comfortably in the crew room while someone more qualified made a maintenance test flight, since these write-ups involved serious control issues.