PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2019, 20:44
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FCeng84
Here we are 15 days and 2500+ posts into a thread about an accident for which we have not yet seen the FDR info nor heard anything about the crew conversations from the CVR and we are already saying that system design and roll-out strategy appears to be at the root of that accident?! We need that data before any sense of the root cause can be put forth as anything other then conjecture. Without the Lion Air accident we would at this point have no idea what brought the Ethiopian 737MAX down. As a result of having had the Lion Air accident many people seem to assume that the Ethiopian event was a repeat.

Can anyone with direct knowledge of what the Ethiopian FDR reveals describe specifically how and why then think this accident is similar to the Lion Air accident in a manner that would point to "system design and roll-out strategy" as having played a role?
Hi there FCeng
I realise that this thread is called Ethiopian ....... etc but it seems to be really about both accidents.
As far as I know nobody has that information other than the French BEA and presumably the Ethiopian authority. Assuming the recorders were not damaged. And nothing has been revealed so far. We don't know if the failure modes were the same or what the crew response was. Do we? Like you I am keen to know.
It seems a long delay between getting the FDR to France and the release of any data.
Has it been suggested somewhere here that we know what happened to Ethiopian? The Lion Air prelim. report is out and I thought that we were discussing that one in some detail, since we know a lot of what happened. And the rest about Ethiopian speculation?
The way aviation stays safe is for us to learn from every incident, find out what happened immediately and ensure that everyone knows how to avoid that particular trap next time. So, we have the flight the day previous to the Lion Air crash, , which may have provided valuable lessons perhaps. We shall see. There may, I say may since all flights of the Max since it came into service have live Flight Data Recording which would l am pretty sure throw up and previous examples of this sort of failure mode. Or MOR pilot reports of similar events. It would be very sad if others had experienced the same events, successfully dealt with them however difficult, and not passed on that knowledge into the gene pool.
Ethiopian did have some knowledge because they issued a notice to all their pilots referring to Lion Air and the Boeing advice. But the failure mode may have been completely different could it not?
If you read through some of the 2500 odd posts , a lot of them are cut and paste from Internet, Newspaper " sources" and other media feeds. Some of the commentary is first class but it can be hard for readers sometimes to sort through it. And then some things have been fully discussed days or weeks ago, only to resurface because we have not had time to read the whole 2500 posts. That is the nature of these forums.
But I have learned a lot over the last few days about the functioning of these systems, regulatory oversight, and probably most important, how many different views there are out there. All valuable. Except Boeing bashing in my view. The historic accident rate for Boeing is very low and pretty much the same as Airbus.
Let us all hope that the reports will reveal what happened in full detail and permit the 737 Max back where it belongs. With any shortcomings in any system, human or mechanical or electronic sorted out.