PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Western NSW Airlines MU2 crash Bathurst 1990?
Old 25th Mar 2019, 02:42
Sonny Corleone

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was a witness to the MU2 accident at YBTH in 1990.

I was on the main apron, the aircraft approached from the east at approx. 300' agl, turned right onto a heading of approx. 045, extended gear, flap was at about half, speed quite low, guessing maybe 125KIAS.

The aircraft then disappeared from my view due to fog patches/low cloud (fog that was in the process of lifting).

Aircraft impacted the ground approx. 300m from the threshold of RWY 17, on a heading of approx 150, left bank of about 30 degrees. Aircraft continued sliding toward the 17 threshold, while rotating to the left & came to rest approx. 200m from the Rwy 17 threshold, the aircraft now facing north- east.

A fire broke out in the left engine (damaged by the impact) which spread to the centre fuel tank, located in the wing centre section. right engine continued to operate until the centre section fire melted the spar, which caused the right prop to contact the fuselage, stopping the prop.
My understanding is the pilot suffered major back injuries in the impact and was rendered unconscious, which led to asphyxiation

I gave evidence at the coronial enquiry