PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can an international student find an flight instructor job with PSGW visa ?
Old 24th Mar 2019, 23:56
Shyam Sunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Takira101
Hi,

I was in the middle of writing an answer for you when +TSNA upstaged me with a fantastic detailed reply. I myself do not live in Canada and it seems he has more first hand knowledge than I do. I did however do all of my training in Canada and have done a lot of flying there over the years. I cannot hope to match +TSNA’s detailed knowledge of how things currently are in Canada, but I will give you whatever advice I can.

My best advice to you is not to worry about job markets and degrees, etc. Your main focus now should be your flight training. Don't worry about anything else. Human society has a natural ebb and flow which you cannot control. Don't worry about it and just focus on your training. There will of course be difficult periods, but over time, if you stay focused and do the best you can, you will have many opportunities to succeed in aviation.

Pilot shortage? Don't worry about that. Commercial aviation around the world is expanding and, though there will be downturns, air travel will continue to expand. The tide of the middle class is exploding all over the world and it is rising all boats. Capitalism is the greatest thing ever! Take it one step at a time, do your training, and there is a good chance you will be working as a pilot in the future.

Building hours without instructing? +TSNA gave a perfect reply so I can only expand on it slightly. Working as an instructor at the flight school you trained at will offer a sense of familiarity. You will be in a familiar environment. Likely living in the same place and surrounded by familiar people and a school that can help you with resident visa related issues. Getting a low time position somewhere in another part of the country may be short term requiring you to move around like a nomad. Some people prefer this lifestyle though. It is up to you. As mentioned by +TSNA, DO NOT get into instructing unless you want to be an instructor.

Applying for jobs as a foreign national? Canada is a country of immigrants. It just so happens that a huge percentage of those immigrants are, like you, from India. You will fit right in. I have met many Indians who did their training in Canada, instructed for a time, and then got in with a regional airline. As long as you are legally able to work in Canada, you will have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Regarding hour requirements, I can’t really add to the previous reply.

About degrees in aviation. A degree in political science, art history, or lesbian dance theory does not qualify you to fly planes. Many major airlines still prefer a degree, but other than applying to larger airlines, you don't need to worry about it.

About Harv’s Air in Manitoba. I DO NOT RECOMMEND HARV’S AIR. I spent two months there a few years ago. They are quite unprofessional. I watched them unfairly squeeze money out of the foreign students who didn’t know any better. Their online ground school is also very long and inefficient. I recommed hangaar.com if you are looking for an online grond school. Pacific Flying Club and Canadian Flight Center at Boundary Bay near Vancouver are good. On the other side of the country I would recommend Canadian Flyers in Toronto or St. Cathrines Flying Club. Keep in mind that most schools will give you a sales pitch about how great they are and what they can do for you. I have direct as well as indirect knowledge about various schools in Canada so let me know if you need more info regarding any school in particular. Try contacting the chief flight instructor of a school and see how helpful he or she is or isn’t. Usually a good indicator. Otherwise someone will send you the same copy and paste email telling you about how great their school is.
Hey Takira. Thanks for taking time out of your day to write such informative tips here. I was hoping to go HARV'S AIR but now I'm completely puzzled.
They were very patient in replying to all my emails. In Canada, we can always change the flying school if we are unhappy and logically the number of hours already flown will be valid, yes ?
I need help with choosing the right school. If you can give me your email, I will write to you.