PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 00:14
TowerDog

SkyGod

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Loose rivets
Having read every post since the first crash I'm at a loss as to how we're not, for the most part, progressing logical thought.

To see this 'Why didn't they fly the plane'. chanted out again and again is beyond offensive. The congressman has "been in contact with . . ." etc., etc. I'm sure he would have handled the MAX like a Warbird, and saved the day.

For the first time in many, many years on PPRuNe, I'm allowing myself to really bristle at some of the posts.

There are so many factors coming out of the woodwork. The Seattle Times was the first to spell out some of the home truths. The technical article today left me astonished. The rear switch (in the column) removed, and the function of the left and right Stabilizer cut out switches changed in the MAX. ??? Have I missed these points? Are they not correct? They're major factors.

'gums' has a lot of experience and his considered thoughts today about being in the hot seat for those first moments says a lot. Mostly, the problem was NOT bloody obvious, it was, insidious - proceeding in a gradual, subtle way, but with very harmful effects. A word I chose carefully in one of my earlier posts.
Scratching my head now: If the cause of these two accidents was an MCAS event due to a faulty sensor, then the solution would be to click off those two Stab Trim Cutoff switches, then fly the airplane, make a landing, then go to the hotel and have a beer.
I have been practicing the Stab Trim-Run away on Boeing’s in various simulators for over 30 years and I would Hopefully remember these 2 switches if it happened in real life.
If this is beyond what is to expected of airline pilots these days, then I will take the train.