PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 02:37
andihce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLF here, but with a background in experimental physics dealing with personnel and equipment safety in large-scale, hazardous experimental situations.

Assuming that both 737 MAX crashes were the result (in large part) of faulty AOA probe data, then we already know, from sad experimental evidence, that relying on one probe is unacceptable. With 2 hull losses in N (? - not a terribly large number) flights of this aircraft, the reliability statistics are hardly at the flight-safety-critical level.

Having an "AOA disagree" warning or AOA readouts for pilots is not necessarily going to help. I suggest that as a minimum, with only two AOA probes (and that should be the minimum number), that MCAS should shut itself down in an AOA disagree situation (with notification to the pilots). The principle here is "primum non nocere". The aircraft is not going to have an upset just because MCAS is not there on these rare occasions.

Furthermore, if AOA data is going to be used in this way (possibly killing people if it is wrong), further sanity checks should be applied to the probe data (e.g., AOA pre-rotation on take-off, consistency with inertial and other air data, whatever).

MCAS as currently implemented seems like a horrid kluge to a non-pilot, but I'm inclined to believe, from what I've read here, that with better engineering (and not too drastic a change) the 737 MAX could be restored to safe service.