PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 16:59
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

After the Lion crash, and many affirmations of the MCAS rationale, I see this comment today
I don't get your comment "not certified". A 737 can fly with no computers or indeed no pretty much anything working, and this is demanded on the FAA test flights which I have conducted to make sure it works.
Ahem....... Guess the test pilot here flew the MAX at high AoA to help evaluate the FAR requirements for control force approaching the stall. Maybe not read all the posts bout the new engines and their mounting adding nose up pitch moments. If not, then maybe the test hops in the previous models did not include evaluating the STS with the trim motor turned off. You know, the thing that helps meet FAR requirements for speed stability when flying "trimmed". The tricky test point is that one up high to ensure that HAL tweaks the elevator without you doing anything when approaching a certain mach threshold. That's a good one, cause you might get aileron reversal and some flutter that really strains your control surfaes and wing.
But no problem, As another pilot here has stated over and over - " any competent crew/pilot could handle that".

And then I continue the quote;
If this has changed on the MAX then that is something to ponder most seriously. But I doubt it.
Well, sir, IT HAS CHANGED!!!!! And that has been the crux of most discussion on our various threads since early November. So DOUBT IT !!! Sheesh, .............................beam me up.
-----------------------------------------
I am trying to follow the ROE for our forum, but it's getting hard. I do not mean to diminish the length and breadth of experience that many pilots here have contributed to the discussion. But somethimes I get a little testy.

My fear is that some lurking here will think that we lost two planes and 300 passengers because incompetent crews did not simply turn off two switches within seconds of raising flaps at normal altitude and speed with the stall warning system telling them they were stalling and their airspeed was FUBAR.

The primary contributing factor to loss of control in the Lion crash and likely the Ethiopian one ,is gonna be the MCAS and its implementatio without fairly documenting it for the crews and not considering its activation at a corner of the envelope it was not intended for.

Gums...