PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight School Help - Vancouver Area
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 02:25
Takira101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by +TSRA
You're only too old in aviation if you don't maintain realistic aspirations. I routinely train new pilots at the airlines who are entering their second career in their 50's.

As everyone's dreams are different, it's hard to say whether you are "too old." If your dream is to do float flying for the rest of your career then no, you're not too old. If, however, your dream is to be #1 on the seniority list at a major international airline and also want to have 3 to 5 years on the top of the pay scale then yes, that ship has likely sailed and you're not going to realize your dreams.
Sums it up pretty well. A little extreme however. If your reason for wanting to become a pilot is to become #1 on the seniority list, then I would question your reasoning. If you want to become a pilot for the great pay, I would recommend another industry. However, out of all the people I meet who want to fly for a career, no one has ever mentioned salary or seniority as a reason. Lets get real guys, being a pilot flying planes for a living is not only an awsome thing to be, it is also just plain cool. That is enough of a reason to want a career in aviation.

As for the question of age, the previous reply said it perfectly. It all comes down to what your goal is. I have met guys who have retired from boring careers in their 50s, got a float rating and lived out their days flying float planes in the wilderness. I have met guys in their early 20s who just want to instruct and fly for small operations in their local area. I also met a kid who had his first solo before 16 and is now a big shot airline pilot. Etc. etc.

The short answer for YOU is; 29 too old? You are crazy! Finish your training in a timely manner and you could be flying for a major airline before your 40th birthday. There are numerous career paths for pilots and, at 29, most of those paths are still wide open for you. Any thoughts of 29 being too late to start are wrong and should be put completly out of your mind. I assure you that your age is not an issuse. I don’t have all answers, but let me know if you have any questions or concers about your future training or career path.