PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2019, 22:25
Alex3008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MetroSweatro
Hi All,

I'm getting to the point in my career that I need to start thinking about applying for the majors! I have a frozen ATPL, approaching 1500hrs total, 400 multi engine turbo prop command along with that. The ultimate dream goal would be to get into Qantas or Virgin. I'm after some advice on what pre-interview prep would be best, study materials, sim, interview preparation companies, etc. And also some thoughts on what to do, as I'm currently bonded for $20k for the next couple of years with my current job, and I am really enjoying the work I'm currently doing. However, I don't want to miss the opportunity at the moment with all this movement about.

I see that Qantas and Jetstar aren't accepting applications at the moment, so that makes that an easy choice, and Virgin 737 NZ applications close on March 31. I don't particularly want to leave my current job at the moment, so if I was successful in an interview and job offer, would I be able to delay a commencement date if given one earlier than I'd ideally like? I'm under the impression that if successful with Virgin, I wouldn't be given a start date at the moment as I don't have my ATPL or an MCC, is this correct? I would still like to remain where I am for a while after obtaining my ATPL.

Are Qantas or Jetstar likely to open up applications any time soon, and if so, would pilots be placed on hold? I've heard rumours that they're both fine at the moment but potentially towards the end of the year things may begin to move again.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated, especially if it gets me thinking from an angle I haven't yet considered. I understand that a lot of my questions may be difficult to answer and what might be correct today, the answer in a months time could be drastically different.

Thanks in advanced!

Hi Mate. Before others jump in and tell you the reality of "majors" job prospective, i would just say with your current flight time hrs you stand a greater chance to join USA regionals on the E3 visa initiative than getting local jobs. Completion is high and you got the guys/ladies coming from DXB & Asia with "heavy jet time" all wanting the same job you want. So look into the USA regional thing, jet some jet and command time over there and after 5 or so years you maybe in the same level field with the "heavy" guys.