PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2019, 19:57
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gums says 'cutting accident crew some slack". So does everyone I think. If they made an error and we have no idea if they did, it would not be their fault but poor training. I have never met or heard of a pilot who sets out to do a bad job or kill himself. Other than the Pyrenees incident of co
course.
There seems to be a bit of a muddle about AoA sensors and Airpspeed disagree. They are not necessarily connected in any way.

AoA detects a stall by measuring the angle of attack with two sensors, one each side. Measuring the angle of airflow.
Speed is measured by sensing air pressure in a tube facing forwards (pitot)and converting that into Indicated Airpspeed. Not the same as real speed.
GPS measures real speed and is almost never wrong.
Say you have blocked pitot tubes as per aF 447, the AoA still works and stall warning still works.
Say you have frozen AoA vanes so that they are not able to detect stall, or incorrectly detect a stall (as is suggested in these Max incidents) then the Airspeed should still work.
Another scenario is that one airspeed is faulty, but the other two work - there are three airspeed indicators. That one is easy since you go for the two that agree. Backed up with GPS.
And in all these cases GPS will still work.
So the changes of losing AoA information AND Airspeed information at the same time are pretty remote.
This is just for information since there seems to be a misunderstanding about the functions of the various systems here.
There is one last way of determining speed. Pitch and power. 6 degrees of pitch and 60% N1 power will fly straight and level and at a safe speed NO MATTER WHAT ANY OF THESE OTHER SYSTEMS ARE SAYING. [True for lower levels]
The point is I suppose that this is a very complicated area but we can also overcomplicate it.
Yanrair