PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2019, 16:22
jimtx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsieker
No, you cannot simply waive certification requirements on stability by saying you will provide some more training. And how have you arrived at the conclusion that training would do a better job than a small system that provides the required control forces at high angles of attack? This is a system that helps return the aircraft to its normal flight envelope when it already is at a high angle of attack. Typically this is a situation where something else has already gone wrong, and that almost always implies a high workload, where it is vastly preferable to have the airplane return to fully controlled flight by itself rather than relying on a task-saturated pilot to remember some bit of training highly specific to this type of aircraft.

Obviously, these kinds of assistive devices require a proper hazard assessment to be performed, including adequate assumptions about human behaviour, especially in a high-workload environment, which is exactly where this system is most likely to be active, and an analysis of worst-case consequences of single failures. Arguably that could have been done better in the case of MCAS.

On the whole, I'm sure you will find that fly-by-wire airliners generally have a far better safety record than conventionally controlled ones. That is not to say that it is only due to the computer-controlled flight controls, but also because FBW types are newer and incorporate other advances in safe design and systems reliability. But it is also clear that computer-assisted flight controls do not generally make flying less safe, QF72 notwithstanding. Case in point: The A320neo has had no accidents and perhaps one incident (tailstrike), despite being on the market somewhat longer and having almost twice as many airframes in service as the 737MAX.

Bernd
Is that certification requirement an airframe stabilty criteria. Because MCAS does not operate with the autopilot on and that nacelle effect would still be there. I don't know if the MCAS envelope would be normally encountered with the autopilot on but one case I envision is a long final where you stay clean and get a windshear event. If MCAS wasn't there when you performed the escape would you not still fly attitude no matter what the stick force was? I think you also can do the escape on autopilot and it wouldn't be affected but maybe you can't activate an automatic escape when clean.