PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2019, 15:21
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patplan
There are at least two incidents involving B38M operated by SWA, and perhaps, one more related incident involving Sunwing Airlines.

=======================
Incidents 1 & 2:
Southwest Replaced Flight-Control Sensors of the Kind Implicated in Lion Air Crash
Investigators are examining how Boeing heeded earlier warnings about flight-control-sensor failures similar to the one implicated in 737 MAX crash <<SNIP>>
Incident 3 :
Sunwing 737 Max suffers spurious indication incident
The crew transmitted a "pan pan" urgency call. The safety board says a left-side inertial reference system fault light also illuminated. he flight continued to Toronto for a safe landing without further incident.

The Canadian TSB reported the left ADIRU was replaced before the plane returned to operation.

<<SNIP>>
===================
I think problems which gotten worse over time seemed to point to a much deeper problem than just AOA vanes. Like what had happened to Sunwing, Lion Air PK-LQP problems might have been caused by the identical source: its left ADIRU.
That is what I was talking about.
From a very low 'improbable' level of failure there is suddenly a significant failure rate. Something has changed between the NG and the Max, and that something needs attention.
That is on top of ensuring that crews are up to speed in dealing with the subsequent failures and cacophony of warnings.