PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For Once I Agree With AOPA
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2019, 21:43
TempoTCu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt Fathom
I don't think private pilot's are subject to Human Factors or Threat and Error Management programs during their training. Some may be lucky enough to encounter it during other non-aviation activities.

Overpowering 'the urge to get there' requires a lot of patience, discipline and practise.

It's easy to make comments like 'What were they thinking? I'd never do that.'

Nobody goes out there to injure or kill themselves or others, but unfortunate decisions can lead to that.

Happens in motor vehicles everyday, but we still don't get it.
Absolutely true. HF or a similar short book/study/exam on human psychology/decision making should be a requirement of any pilot flying outside of the circuit. As someone working towards CPL who identifies as someone who is "lucky enough to encounter it [HF/psychology experience] during other non-aviation activities" I feel I am qualified to make such a statement.

So we have an average GA aircraft that has an MR that’s about to expire. What actual risk arises in the real world the day after the MR expires, which risk did not exist on the day before the MR expires?
Lead Balloon, you are really at the very end of a very thin wedge. Risk delta from day -1 to day +1 is negligible, but then the argument becomes well if one day overdue is ok then why not two? If two days overdue is ok why not three? so on and so on. As with any cut-off point, an arbitrary point must be set and maintained else the system fails.

This is all just science and in no way represents my support or non-support to CASA, AOPA, or the accident findings.

Last edited by TempoTCu; 18th Mar 2019 at 22:49.