PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian B787 - LGW based
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2019, 19:10
cumulustratus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smooth Airperator
Ummmm, not quite. BA, LH, AA and so forth pilots are all employed directly by their employers with completely guaranteed career paths and single AOCs. Norwegian LH (and SH) pilots are employed by various agencies and according to various terms and conditions on various AOCs (the Brits getting the worst deal and the French the best). Experienced FOs have come here for a relatively quick command, a feat only possible by product of distinct AOCs and employment terms where LH and SH are deemed two separate entities. Why else would they be attracted to the lowest paying LH FO position in the world? Some of them now may not even see a Cruise Relief Captain position let alone a command for 5 years. It's not the airline they signed up to.
Maybe I'm missing something, and please tell me If I have, but isn't this actually desirable? Shouldn't all pilots working with the Norwegian banner on the side of their ships have the same conditions and have mixable career paths? How is this detrimental to the pilot body at large? I understand that it can set back commands for right seat pilots, and that wasn't what they planned for when joining, but long term it would probably be healthier for everyone in aviation if this horrible mix of contracts and T&C's disappeared.

Edit: and also this thing about the UK branch having the worst conditions in an airline spread over Europe seems to be a recurring thing. Any of you UK guys ever stop to think about why that is, given you having among the highest costs of living?

My 2 cents would have something to do with Mrs. Thatcher...