PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 767 down/Texas
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2019, 08:16
log0008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Murexway
I agree. Like everybody else, I've been in some pretty heavy turbulence and I don't remember that it ever caused me to jam the throttles to the stops. And the acft supposedly was on the A/P, so it would had to have disconnected in order to get a pitch up from the increased thrust, in any case. Even if all that had happened, I don't see them pushing massively on the yokes to correct was only a few hundred foot climb. Sounds more like a Keystone Cops movie.
So much doesn't make sence, I'm still a flight instructor so can't comment on jets but i just can't see it happening. Sure there have been plenty of times where turbulence, has lead to a small un intended power movements but these are always felt and able to be reacted to quickly and without any effect on the flight, and thats in a piston aircraft, i'm sure a jet responds even more slowly. Also again not being an airline pilot but would a pilots hand even be anywhere near the throttles with the aircraft on autopilot at 7000ft or so?

I don't have the data but to me I just can't see how this situation could be possible, I'm thinking maybe someone has been misquoted and the auto throttles somehow activated t/o power. That or someone has the order stuffed, a nose pitch down to 49 degrees now rapid enough that could cause an unintentional fwd movement of the throttles.

Last edited by log0008; 16th Mar 2019 at 08:37.