PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2019, 20:51
iamhives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canyonblue737
the fix has been in development for 5 months and was due now anyway, they aren't starting from scratch.
Which to me seems a huge issue. Before this second incident (assuming they're related) Boeing was downplaying the issue, basically trying to put lipstick on the pig. The second instance of this problem, in short order, shows that more is required than what was likely the lowest cost, most expedient fix Boeing could come up with. The assumption that Boeing made previously that pilots should be able to safely deal with another instance of this problem (hence justifying that grounding the fleet wasn't necessary, even after the second crash) proved to be sadly wrong and hence I conclude that the fix that Boeing had conceived before the second instance must also be flawed since it was based on their same myoptic attitude. To implement the 'fix' conceived of before this second incident within the next 10 days seems untenable. Unfortunately Boeing is motivated by $ to get any fix out there asap whether its a real fix or not. Today when news was leaked that the fix would be ready in 10 days (by Boeing?), the Boeing stock bumped 1.5%. If they had announced the fix would take another 5 months then likely the opposite would have happened or much worse. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and the required fix/action will be fully re-evaluated. I'm considering shorting Boeing stock but that would assume common sense will prevail.