PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Why Robinson helicopters seem to have a bad habit of crashing"
Old 15th Mar 2019, 09:37
Triple Nickel 8 Ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammerr
Mast bumping only occurs as a result of two things, both of which must happen: First you must enter low G, typically by being stupid and shoving the cyclic forward very suddenly, although it can also happen when flying fast through severe turbulence. When in low G, the nose will drop and the helicopter will roll to the right (with a counter-clockwise rotor). If, and only if, you respond to the roll with left cyclic while still in low G, then mast bumping may occur in which case you die.

However that only happens if you apply left cyclic while in low G. If you either avoid low G (the correct thing to do) or you apply gentle aft cyclic to recover from low G without trying to correct the roll first, then everything will be fine. But keep in mind that when the uncommanded roll to the right occurs, the nose will be down, because if it is not then you won't roll at all.

And besides, just look at statistics. There are over 6000 R-44s, compared to a bit over 7000 206s. They are extremely popular and flown all the time all over the world. It is not a death trap!

But I did fly the G2 once and it has a much more upscale interior; everything seems much more modern and refined. Controls are heavier although it has a good electric trim, and it's not as fast.
Thanks for this!!

I think that you have effectively, highlighted my biggest concern. Not 'mast bumping" so much as how I react to it. I think my concern is that in those situations, I might roll left and BANG! End. However, I do soak up training and focus on the type I am in (at one point, I was rated in 3 aircraft and flew all 3 in a day that resulted in a rejected take off on the last flight, after my co jo read an item off the checklist and didn't actually carry out the item....a story for another time). The thing was, there was a striking similarity between 2 alerting systems....and it caught us out. After that, I absolutely got my head into each type, each time and didn't get caught out by any differences again, until the one of the 2 similar types was sold. I'm saying, that if I'm in an R44 or B206, I will consciously make a note of it in my own mind and will always have it in the back of my mind, with the hope that if I'm expecting a Low G uncommanded roll right, that I will already have programmed myself to gently apply aft cyclic/correctly recover.

Again, I don't think I will fly in conditions or areas, that are likely to be overly turbulent and, I know full well to slow down in turbulence (unlike a lot of Plank Wing pilots!). I think I may end up, over cautious and actually, not fly on days that are probably, perfectly safe to fly....as I think it will be difficult to gauge where the limit is. Would experienced R44 pilots fly happily on a day with 15 knot winds, Gusting 20 for example....or more....or less?? Some days, the weather is beautiful, but convective/thermal activity can make it a bit bumpy in places....again, is this a go or no go? Very difficult to judge for people in my shoes....

Thanks again for the reply