PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC notice on BREXIT issued, licenses/certificates invalid
Old 15th Mar 2019, 08:26
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdgolf
Denti'
Thanks for your clear reply, I do agree with it from the legal point of view, but do think about two words I said: right away. Where does right away begin or end? March 31st, 00:01? A week later? 2 weeks later...?
I would say whenever a legal change on licensing regulation happens, or whenever the particular license needs to be revalidated, whatever happens first!

Cheers
The problem with that is, that the EASA would have to react on legal procedures within a third country in hindsight. They do so if needed, however, if one can clearly see a defined date they have to use that date. There is actually no wiggle room for them, except if the commission proposes some changed laws and the EU parliament (and EU council if needed) approve it. Which happened to a few things pertaining aviation, but not for flight crew licenses as there is no need and it is not in the interest of the EU. Remember, the UK wants to leave, and EU agencies have to protect the interests of the remaining EU citizens and their businesses, not those in the UK after leaving.

So yes, the logical and only legal date is 29th of March, midnight CEST. As i said, the EU is a deeply rule based society, it has to follow its own rules.

It looks likely that there will be an extension, although that does depend on unanimity between all EU countries, which of course would enforce a different exit date, which then will be the new cutoff point in case of no deal, which is the legally binding default, even though the HoC voted against it, which is of course not binding in any way, there are only two legal ways out of a no deal scenario: withdraw the article 50 application, or sign a deal (aka withdrawal agreement).