PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2019, 01:33
73qanda

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it is common for those who don’t fly Airliners, and also for those with only one or two years experience on them, to underestimate the effect of contradictory information being presented on the Primary Flight Displays.
For me, just when I thought I was a gun at flying appropriate thrust settings and attitudes during simulated Airspeed Unreliable scenarios, just as my confidence was peaking ( about six years on the NG after ten years on turbo-props), I was presented with a pitot-static issue on departure ( in the sim) that really had me struggling to know what was right. With the machine blaring WINDSHEAR WINDSHEAR WINDSHEAR while the stick shaker rattled away and the IAS was a moderately believable number......what to do? Is the WINDSHEAR real and I need to pitch to 15 etc etc or is the stickshaker real and I need to reduce pitch etc? Here come the Pitch Limit Indicators, gotta respect them right? They’re now down at 6 degrees nose up......
I managed to sneak away with it because of good support from my First Officer but it has given me a reality check with regard to the effects of contradictory information being presented when in IMC. I am now quicker to check my First Officers screen and I am also more aware of when Winshear is simply not going to be possible.
My point though, is that the machine (NG sim) applied no nose down trim, even without the machine applying nose down trim it can be very very challenging to apply sensible attitudes and thrust settings in real time as an event of this nature unfolds.
With unexpected and potentially unknown flight control inputs taking place in conjunction with contradictory information being presented one would hope to be in VMC with an excellent horizon.
Just my thoughts for those who think it is as simple as setting 10/80 and calling for the stab trim cutout switches to be operated.