PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2019, 18:01
RTM Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MLHeliwrench

just as fast as speculation fueled hysteria started - it will fade and joe public will go back to not caring in the least which variety of jet they are on.
Dismissing PAX concern based on widely reported concerns about possible inherent problems with the Max 8 as "hysteria" is the opposite of a safety-first mindset. You know no more than I do if the two incidents are direct, indirectly or not at all connected. But PAX see the same almost brand new derivative 737 jets crashing, in similar circumstances, without obvious cause, killing a JT610 and ET302 combined total of 338 PAX and crew. That undoubtedly concentrates the PAX mind. One looks like a misfortune, two looks like carelessness, n'est pas? If the questions we're all asking remain unanswered for some time, as seems likely (the Lion Air investigation is still on-going), then the Max 8 will remain grounded everywhere, except the US (for now), until otherwise determined, perhaps for many months. Anything other than a very short suspension of use looks very bad. Heaven forbid any Max 8 still flying goes down... And you really think PAX will forget and not care?

I don't need to tell anyone here of the long-term reputational consequences for types like the Comet, DC10, Concorde, or Fokker 28 not only for the model, but also for their manufacturer. If anything the digital age makes this potential damage more severe because the story will remain out there, just as Max 8s stay in their hangars and airlines seek compensation from Boeing for the groundings. I'm sure the US government will protect Boeing whatever happens, but the same may not be true for the future of the 737.