PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 30 years old, single, no kids...go to Emirates?
Old 13th Mar 2019, 15:42
AllDaysAreSchoolDays

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Talktotopper,

It is a very personal decision. Sometimes the adventure and trying something different, to have a truly global perspective and settle curiosities is worthwhile. My wife and I came out to the sandpit in search of an adventure and the lifestyle. I would honestly say we don’t regret it but the place has changed considerably in the last 10 years. We didn’t have a 5year bond when we joined and I think it says a lot for the organisation and the place. They shouldn’t have to force people to stay. The reality is we lost a lot of new joiners before they had completed 3years service.

Overall I think Outlaw, Fatbus and Big Geordie have it right. I am not sure this is the place to try for an adventure these days.

There are a lot of sacrifices to living in a place like this. One which is more prominent now is the transient nature of the place. It is hard to really get to know people and build solid relationships and communities.

I am sad to say that the apparent anonymity also encourages many morons and attitudes which show in most of the Middle East threads, attacks on one group or another and many small men making derogatory remarks about their other halves or women in general. There are no end of racist and misogynistic idiots here. See above! 17 hours sat next to these idiots or stuck down route with them and away from your family and true friends can be a challenge.

There are many good people here too, but as I said they come and go quickly and the nature of our work schedule can make it challenging to meet up with your true friends and family.

The decision you make needs to consider all of your personal needs, not just financial and career.

Best of luck