PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 22:20
Tryingharder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the risk assessment?

Sorry to intrude here, just a passenger, but I'm baffled what risk assessment in a safety critical industry means that an aircraft that is already airborne needs to find a destination other than the one it was planning to go to in the UK?

I appreciate the fact that the type is effectively prohibited from UK/European airspace but surely asking the crew to go hawking around the world looking for a diversion is introducing additional risk to the baseline risk now associated with this aircraft rather than reducing it. It's got to land somewhere right? And even if it's going to go wrong it's better it goes wrong with every potential advantage in the crew's favour even if that's only ATC in English and familiar with the terrain at a familiar airport. As opposed to an unfamiliar airport with altitude / temperature that might even predispose to the failure condition being encountered after wandering round introducing additional constraints such as fuel.

I apologise if that risk assessment was done today on the basis of the weather in the UK being a risk - but I can't see it.

I work in a safety critical business; medical devices. If I know there's a safety advisory on a piece of kit then I'll risk assess the likelihood/impact of keeping it in service vs the benefit to the patient. That's a very different conversation when the operation's not started (on the ground) vs patient "on the table" (aircraft airborne). And sometimes we might be "brave" when the patient really needs it.

Just askin'