PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 18:24
ASRAAMTOO

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ATFQ
ACW367,

I’ll take the liberty of correcting your inaccuracies/assumptions if I may, so that other readers are not misinformed.

1. Unlike you suggest, the landing areas shown at Wethersfield in the photos above are in pretty good condition. And no gravel. Other surfaces (not really needed) could be made available at a cost of £10ks to £100ks. Only repairs to pavement standard required for gliders, so relatively cheap (and sensible in comparison with the cost of the ongoing glider recovery programme).

2. All take offs and landings at Wethersfield with Viking were from paved or tarmac surfaces. So no issue with ruts on grass. I guess you are thinking back to the early 80s - when vintage gliders were flown from grass at Wethersfield.

3. Elements of the Wethersfield Hangar Annexes were recently refurbished, as you can see from one of the photos. The Hangar is not brand new, but then again neither are most regular RAF hangars are they? And a Rubb Hangar could easily be erected either inside it or alongside it instead (a Rubb Hangar is also being installed at Swanton Morley for example, which does not have a Hangar as yet. Therefore no gliders there until next year?)

4. Permanent, good quality (multiple) block accommodation is available on site, and was used previously on a regular basis. So safeguarding is not a factor.

And finally. It is not really a choice of Wethersfield OR Swanton Morley. You could have both. The benefit of having a site close to north London and Essex ATC units would be high.
Did I not detect an element of sarcasm (or maybe irony) in ACW367's post? Maybe things are so far gone now he DID need a reply?