PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 11:57
gmx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesty Morgan
Most definitely is. I haven't seen the Lion Air data so I don't know if it ran full forward and stayed there or something else. Obviously startle factor might play a part as well but I'm not sure how startling the trim running slowly forward would be but maybe combined with the stall warning going off wouldn't encourage you to haul back as hard as you can.

I'm only saying that it is controllable at either extreme. Just.

I think its important to remember that the Lion crew kept the aircraft reasonably steady for 6 minutes after MCAS issues presented, continuously and manually counteracting the MCAS nose down events that occurred during that whole time. The crew knew they had a stabilizer runaway b/c they kept using the electric trim to correct it. They kept the aircraft basically level at 5000 feet for that 6 minute duration, until, for the last four MCAS nose down commands, the crew's manual trim responses occur but are just "blipped" (not sufficient to counteract the MCAS input), and assumedly resulted in the stabilizer being full forward.

No one knows why the crew were able to successfully counteract MCAS with manual trim operation for 6 minutes, and then fail to do so for the final 4 MCAS inputs. That is the mystery that we are hoping the CVR will explain.

Lastly, as I understand it, MCAS only dials in *ONE* nose-down increment (2 degrees or whatever it is) and then deactivates itself, until something happens to reactivate MCAS allowing it to dial in another increment. I can't recall all of the crew activities that result in MCAS being reactivated, but I believe one is operation of the manual trim. This is why the last four "blipped" manual trim inputs in the Lion flight result in four unmitigated MCAS nose-down events, because any manual trim input resets MCAS and allows it to reasses the AoA / speed picture and dial in another MCAS trim input.