PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing advice on "aerodynamically relieving airloads" using manual stabilizer trim
Old 12th Mar 2019, 09:10
finncapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May help.

The company was BOAC, I thought the incident was out of Dorval, Montreal (but could be Toronto), probably a -436.

The conversion course we did together was in 1978 and I had the impression the incident was some years previous.

The chap was a captain on the 707 by then, so, if in the incident he was a P2, it possibly happened in the 60s.

I joined BOAC in 1970 and don't recall it happening in my time, but that may be because I was on the VC10.

I know that D P Davies, of AAIB fame, was closely involved in the investigation (my acquaintance was not very enamoured with him).

He stated that the trim even ran away with the brake on (wasthere a brake?) and his hand trying to stop it.

Never flew the 707 but I think it may have been something to do with the servo tab working in the wrong direction.

I know the name of the person involved (we shared a house in New Zealand on the ANZ DC10 conversion course) but I will not reveal it here.

Last edited by finncapt; 12th Mar 2019 at 10:14.