PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 02:21
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Switch direction.

I recently transitioned to an Airbus from an old British machine. It wasn’t until some months into flying the bus that I realised the switch directions were opposite to what I was supposedly used to. You see, what I’d been doing is this, if I knew something was off and I wanted to turn it on, I would locate the appropriate switch and move it to its other position. I would then check that what was once off was now on and I would carry on. I do something similar with light switches in a room, if the lights are off, I locate a light switch and move it to its opposite position, I then check that the lights have come on. If they haven’t, I look for another light switch and repeat the procedure .

I find it very hard to believe that someone could be confused by switch direction. If the trims need to be cutout, you lift the guard and move the switch. Right? You don’t lift the guard, observe the switch in a particular position, mistake that position for OFF, and then assume that somehow the switch was already off! Talk about overthinking.