PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 00:21
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldoberon
Can someone clear up something for me please.

I know from reading the whole thread the MCAS has a single AoA input, but some post refer to xchecking against the 2nd AoA ( which is not connected to MCAS)

However post 188 says this

post 188

At least Southwest took it's own initiative by adding an extra AOA indicator into 737 MAX for crew to cross-check erroneous data, but, shouldn't that be a Boeing responsibility and hence fitted to the worldwide fleet? I doubt Ethiopian purchased or insisted on these upgrades.

Is this extra a 3rd AoA or is there only 1 AoA and this IS the 2nd "comparison only" one.

Just to add I was horrified to read the certification is basically a grandfather one, when major changes to airframe, engine or flying controls are made it should be a new certification, loved the analogy " like putting a new dash and a 300bhp engine in a model T and saying it is safe to use!

ta

Oldoberon

AFAIK there are 2 AOA-s on the 737, the MCAS uses only AOA-1, Southwest elected the option of having AOA-1 on the PIC EFIS & AOA-2 on FO EFIS. please correct me if I am wrong.
Also if you want to see "grandfathered", compare the DC-9 cockpit with the B717. Same type rating, one day differences class is all that is required to go from one to the other.....