PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2019, 17:30
LookingForAJob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of thoughts on the recent discussion....
Originally Posted by Vessbot
Yes. The scheme is, on any vertical surface (like the instrument panel, or a wall) up = on, same as any switch in the rest of the world.
Sorry, a good few places do it the other way around. And therein lies one problem with a global industry.
Originally Posted by JoeJosh999
Do we know how much of the design, coding, and testing of the MCAS function was done in-house vs out-sourced? In my experience it’s so hard to manage development when it’s being done off shore, for a variety of reasons, but the same applies to testing. I’d be interested to know of the QA plan, most obviously failure modes, and how it was executed and signed off.
Perhaps more important is requirement capture before it goes off to the coders (wherever they may be). If assumptions are made at this point - be they about what pilots will know or be able to handle, or the training that they will get to ensure they have sufficient knowledge/competence of a particular system, to pull a couple of examples out of the air - it is vital that they are verified to be correct.