PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2019, 08:50
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda

I don’t fly the Max but if it was an NG it would be highly unlikely. First up, you want to be decreasing automation when things start getting away on you, not increasing it but if you did try for whatever reason, the NG wouldn’t take the AP if there was an active control column input from either side. From what I have been reading, the situation would be such that it is unlikely you could organise getting both crew members to release pressure completely while engaging the AP.
Anyway, if the solution to any problem was to engage the AP and watch it recover the aircraft I think many pilots would be contemplating a career change soonish.
If correct, and I have no reason to think otherwise, 73qanda has succinctly described what this discussion should be all about. IMHO, MCAS has either been designed by people who don’t have the first clue of the human factors present in such a dynamic occurrence. And/or, they’ve been sitting behind a desk (or computer) for so long that they have lost touch with reality. I mean, someone signed off on the thing. Maybe that’s why in the aftermath of Lion Air, both Boeing and the FAA were conspicuously quiet?