PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2019, 17:02
Lonewolf_50

Received 393 Likes on 244 Posts
There was an extended discussion on PPRuNe about what pilots need to know - as opposed to what was commonly in the conversion course content - about the MAX's flight control system after the LionAir crash in October.

Asking anyone who flies the 737 Max: What, if any, guidance and training have you received since the LionAir accident regarding the potential issues that accompany an AoA sensor failure?
Why do I ask this?
A data point from a bit further up: the captain of this flight was recently qualified in this model (November). His previous experience was in other aircraft. (perhaps previous 737 models, that info will doubtless become available in due course).
Would his conversion training have had the benefit of what came to light after the LionAir accident, or, would that training course have been before the LionAir accident?
LionAir crash was in October of last year. As I understand the info provided, this Captain's qualification on the new model was in November of last year.
The question is of particular interest if a flight control anomaly was major hole in the layered slices of swiss cheese. (Another point made earlier was "on the ground three hours, no significant write ups" which is a significantly different case than LionAir's situation).
If the key cause(s) was(were) something else, it's still of interest in terms of how training and systems operations information is disseminated.

Information like this one: the FAA emergency airworthiness notice of 7 November 2018.

Given the recency of the LionAir accident, and that the FAA issued that to all owners and operators, then I'd expect all operators to have taken an active interest in making sure their flight crews were up to speed on this feature of the Max. Under that assumption (perhaps valid, perhaps faulty) air crews would have some awareness of what to do if that same problem cropped up. It being some months since that accident, would all operators have updated their SOPs, procedures, etc, given the seriousness of this particular malfunction at low altitude?

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 10th Mar 2019 at 17:24.