PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2019, 16:15
VerdunLuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmansquipper
Stick stirrer.

Thank you for that well reasoned and clarifying (for me) post.

A laymans view: Given an inability to 'prove or disprove' the TI theory it seems a 'not guilty' verdict was is the only one possible. I guess Mr Hill will be the only one who MIGHT know for sure.

I can certainly vouch for a sudden onset of vertigo with no apparent cause. Last November I got up and attempted to walk to the bathroom; the room then spun crazily quickly resulting in a view of the carpet at close range. There was no warning before and I felt fine up until the moment it started. There is no way I could have controlled an aircraft while it was happening.

I am not suggesting in any way that that was AH's problem, it clearly wasn't, but I say it to show that the human brain can do some very odd things with no warning. TIAs have already been mentioned above. Probably the only way any form of flying can be protected from the hundreds of rare, but sudden medical problems that can afflict and impair us, is to have two pilots. If we want to continue with single pilot operation, I think we have to accept that every now and again there will be an accident down to a temporary or permanent brain failure.

In general, the aircraft are more reliable than a single pilot is.