PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2019, 08:31
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pittsextra, I tend agree with the general tenor of your post in so far as we have to look forward. Perhaps the first step should be thorough Display Auths (already implemented?) whereby someone is signed-off on the type concerned, demonstrating the proposed display routine, rather than a formation display flight in another type of aircraft where the examinee is fundamentally following the examiner around the sky? PS. Interesting to note that a DA was signed-off during a public display (Duxford).

The other ‘hole’ must be the ATRE where someone was signed-off on type and then didn’t necessarily have to undertake annual renewals/revalidations. In my world I have to undertake annual renewal/revalidation for a class rating (MEP) but I guess my 750hrs/yr on class and 8000+hrs total doesn’t class as enough experience for a ‘rubber stamp’ revalidation because I don’t do aerobatics?

I knew little about display flying oversight before this accident - now I see how such an accident could have occurred. Aviation failed to deliver at Shoreham and, regardless of legal wrangling, we need to pull our socks up.