PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Security Thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2019, 14:07
hobnobanyone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoelEvans
deltahotel‘s Post is the most valid one on this Thread, yet everyone seems to be ignoring it.

Often called “the industry’s best kept secret”, it seems to be easy to see why it remains a ‘secret’ when people like deltahotel state it so clearly and yet everyone ignores it. Freight is growing well (airfreight services contribute £7.2 billion to the UK economy and support 151,000 jobs) and that has to be the answer to thoughts on Job Security.
I’m totally in agreement with Deltahotel and Noelevans.

I’m a converted Freight Dog from passenger flying and have to say that without doubt, in my opinion it’s the safest and most secure arm of aviation in the UK at the moment. It doesn’t get thought about much because of “glamour” of passenger flying, but I enjoy it. Lots of time at home and down route to explore new places, excellent T&Cs, varied routes and network, and the company look after us well too. Certain UK based freight airlines have got a fantastic and almost unparalleled opportunity post brexit, whatever the outcome is...

But as it’s not passengers, it’ll never be treated in the same light. Long may it continue to be the best kept secret in the industry.

I must also comment on the myth of perpetual nights too. I sleep more now than I ever did in passenger flying, we now have individual beds in Leipzig with our own personal toilet facilities including - perfect for grabbing a few hours in between flights. Where, personally, the big change has been is that I hated earlies. I struggled with sleep hugely. Now, in the freight world, I fly to LEJ or equivalent, have a couple of hours sleep (which is what I would get before an early!), then do an hour Long sector on average and then get more sleep. The end result though is that actually I am so much less tired than I ever was flying passengers.

Day flying is also on the increase. Plus there are a number of flights you can treat as earlies if you do so wish - and get a full night of sleep ahead of work.

It really isn’t as grim as a/ it was and b/ it is painted as. Nights don’t agree with everyone, granted, but if like me you’re a night owl as opposed to someone gets up Dawn’s crack (errrm yeah!), then actually it works pretty well indeed. Plus, you’re hardly ever doing more than 300 hours a year flying on the SH fleet.

It is strange though that in flying freight for a good time now, I have not had to phone in fatigued once. Whereas in the middle of summer, while the rosters were biting hard...

It is all food for thought and opinions though. As I said, it’s not for everyone. But if you want stability, security and a good home/work balance... there are many worse options out there.

Now I’ll head back into the Freightdogs forum with a tin hat on.

Last edited by hobnobanyone; 8th Mar 2019 at 14:21.