PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting to Malaysian CPL
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2019, 03:24
thornycactus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chong Kai Teh
Thanks for answering my question.
Thank you! I like polite greeting and reply.

However, by taking all the written papers and fly 25-35 hours on ME, that means it is just the same process as the CAAM AIC has stipulated for the foreign licensed Malaysian pilots under 500 hours of total hours. If that's the case, why doesn't the CAAM just state that all at once instead of dividing categories for < 500 and > 500? Pretty confusing yea..
Good question.

I have spoken to T. William (at that time, known as DCAM and before he retired) many years ago about this. Those holding >500 hours, the requirement is not much difference with those <500hours. Only (a few) certain papers are exempted for slightly experienced guys. Till now, nothing has changed even CAAM scrapped UKCAA and JAR testing standard.

Generally, all applicants (as in your case) MUST clear ATPL papers. FYI, those RMAF guys with thousands of hours are made to sit those ATPL papers too! In fact, CAAM "followed" CAAS conversion practise.

Being a Malaysian, you have a good advantage of converting foreign license to CAAM license without being questioned by CAAM.

I hope I have answered your question.

About "ATP minimums," presuming that if I convert my license, I would have to follow the ATP minimums for the CAAM.
There is no ATP minimum particulary for your case. Even if you hold CASA ATPL/FAA ATP, your license converted will be CAAM frozen ATPL.

Once you have your CAAM frozen ATPL, you should have at least minimum 5 years to unfreeze. There is a consequence if you don't unfreeze within 5 years which I am not going to write.

For those converting to full CAAM ATPL ("unfreeze"), is another set of criteria which is not useful and meaningless to you (in your case).

Last edited by thornycactus; 6th Mar 2019 at 03:35.