View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2019, 06:43
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...case-hw8jtkskn

Second minister quits over Justin Trudeau and bribery case

A senior cabinet member in Justin Trudeau’s government resigned last night amid allegations that the Canadian prime minister had improperly interfered in an alleged corruption case.

Jane Philpott, 58, said she no longer had confidence in Mr Trudeau after he was accused of pressuring his former justice minister not to pursue a trial against a company suspected of bribery. Ms Philpott said she was stepping down from her post as president of the Treasury Board in order to “abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations”. She is the second cabinet member to quit over the scandal.

“After serious reflection, I have concluded that I must resign as a member of Cabinet,” Ms Philpott wrote in her resignation letter. “Sadly, I have lost confidence in how the government has dealt with this matter and in how it has responded to the issues raised.”

Mr Trudeau’s Liberal government has been in turmoil since last month when he was accused of seeking to help SNC-Lavalin, a Quebec-based construction company, against allegations that it offered £28 million to Libyan officials between 2001 and 2011. Mr Trudeau, 47, who is seeking re-election in October, has faced calls for his resignation over the affair.

Jody Wilson-Raybould, 47, stepped down as justice minister last month. She claimed that Mr Trudeau and his staff had hounded her for weeks in an effort to protect SNC-Lavalin, for fear that it would move jobs out of Quebec if his government pushed for a trial, which now is due to proceed.

Gerald Butts, who quit as Mr Trudeau’s principal secretary last month over the affair, is due to testify to the justice committee tomorrow.