PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 airmen brutally honest
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2019, 12:58
Mr Mac

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
My late father served with 6 Group Canadians who were reported to have had the highest VD infection rate of any allied formations. I told him this some years ago, and he said that was not the full story as many he said went to their graves as innocent in that respect as when they were born. There was never the same issues as in WW1 with bars behind the lines catering for service personnel he said, though no doubt some ports like Grimsby, Hull, Middlesbrough had some what seamier areas. Therefore I am not sure the VD rate says anything about Canadians or more about the ladies of North Yorkshire,Tees side. As for the drinking, my father was always teased about drinking milk in the pub with his crew, as he did not like alcohol, and was a very moderate drinker all his life. However he did say the day he joined his Squadron he was deliberately taken to see the tail of a returning Halifax who's unfortunate tail gunner was having his remains power washed out of the remains of his turret after being hit by approx. 4nr 20mm cannon shells, which he said was a very sobering experience for an 18year old.

Cheers
Mr Mac