PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the grass really greener? Perspectives from an escapee.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 15:02
anxiao

Received 49 Likes on 10 Posts
Avi8safely, many posters here are honestly trying to give you the true story of what life is like in HKG on a CX salary
I’ll add my knowledge to help your decision.

I doubt whether any pilot with less that 5 years in CX is saving 3000 US per month. They get by, but there is often more month at the end of the money.

I rent a 580 sq ft 2 bedroom flat in Discovery bay, a half hour busride from the airport. For production living it is not bad. UK would class it as B2/C1 social. Safe, kids run around at night, surrounded by green hills and the sea. I pay close to 2500USD for this on the 6th floor of a 24 story block. I have no kids, and would not like to bring up two kids in the space- but HK people do it in much less space. The schooling is good and a short bus ride away but expensive by world standards. Having no kids I can only go on what my neighbours tell me. But a non pilot neighbour taking home 10,000 USD with two kids in the Discovery bay school confides that they are often in debt and are stressed because of this.

For your wife, an office manager may make 2,000 USD per month but it is very competitive to get that sum. A friend employs an admin clerk for 1500USD per month. The lady still lives with her parents as she cannot afford to rent anywhere in hk on that market salary.

HK is a great city for a couple of years when single and carefree. It is very difficult to provide for a family, make savings and live a decent life on the remuneration that CX offers. It is a McJob until you find a career.

As quoted on another forum, what is the difference between a (CX) pilot and a 12in pizza? You can feed a family of 4 with a 12 inch pizza.

Hard but true!