PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP A320
Thread: BA DEP A320
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 13:16
ManUtd1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, a type-rating cost isn't ideal but it's a means to a pretty good career if you can stand it.
I would go a bit further than "isn't ideal". In most industries paying thousands of pounds for your own training is unheard of. BA hire experienced non-rated DEP's and have internal fleet transfers all the time and of course don't charge for those. Singling out 200-hr cadets is simply a money making scheme, taking advantage just because they can get away with it and other airlines do the same.

Originally Posted by Stocious
The recruitment team are working hard to open up these avenues, including cadet schemes. The appetite is there, it's a case of getting approval from on high which is the current difficulty at BA.
To be clear, I'm not blaming the recruitment team. In my (very limited) conversations with them a few years back they seemed to genuinley care. I imagine they're trying their best and with good intentions. But at some point you have to take a stand, you can't simultaneously represent something (ie BA recruitment) whilst denying all responsibiltiy for the negative parts. Yes you can argue they're trying to change things but on this and previous evidence (the 100,000+ MPL etc) things are getting worse not better. Hence my thoughts that some might sooner resign.

At the end of the day I'm sure they will get plenty of applicants and it's great opportunity for those who get in. It's good that BA is open to modular cadets again. Trying to defend the morality of the scheme though, regardless of how many internal battles are going on, is a non-starter IMO.

Last edited by ManUtd1999; 3rd Mar 2019 at 18:06.