PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 27th Feb 2019, 11:41
meleagertoo

Received 123 Likes on 60 Posts
If I had been invited to take a passenger seat on that journey I'd have declined on four seperate reasons.

1) I don't fly at my employer's behest except on a (minimum) twin turbine aircraft.
2) I don't fly at my employer's behest except on a Perf Cat A aircraft.
3) I don't fly at my employer's behest with less than a CPL (IR) at the controls.
4) I don't fly at my employer's behest if any of the flight is IMC/IFR without two pilots properly trained in 2 crew ops.

And I'd recommend anyone who values their own skin to do the same. But of course I only know that as a pilot. Joe public can't make judgements like that because he has no knowlege of how aviation works. That's why it is so important that the lesson that comes out of this sorry business is that the public must be made aware of what is acceptable practice charter-wise and what isn't.

Following that dreadful accident where an entire positioning crew was lost in a piston twin some time ago (Was it British Midland?) my last employer - a notoriosly stingy loco - didn't even try to argue when we got BALPA to ask them to stop piston twin transfers. Their duty of care was evidently explained by their lawyers to good effect.

Last edited by meleagertoo; 27th Feb 2019 at 12:04.