PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The utter dishonesty of the Canberra system – MH370
Old 27th Feb 2019, 04:34
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
The utter dishonesty of the Canberra system – MH370

Many will know that the Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack has proposed a legislative change in Parliament which reinforces the unique Civil Aviation Act and the words “CASA must regard the safety of air navigation as the most important consideration.”

Of course, this means that safety is more important than anything else, including cost.

If that is true, can I ask a simple question? Why isn’t the Deputy Prime Minister pushing for the search to be reinstated for MH370?

You got it! Because the powers that be have decided that the extra cost is more important than the extra safety they may gained by finding out what actually happened!

It is clear that not only were eight Australians killed, but Australians are flying all the time on the Boeing 777, which could have an inherent fault. Only yesterday, a Qantas pilot said to me that he does not believe in the murder/suicide theory and believes there is an airworthiness problem with the aircraft – it is tied up with an oxygen cylinder that could blow up.

Of course, we see the utter hypocrisy of Canberra – not one word from Mr Carmody (the Director of Aviation Safety) and not one word from the Deputy Prime Minister or his Chief of Staff, or his head of PR.

I have called for a small levy to be put on air tickets. Ten cents would raise $270 million from the 2.7 billion passengers, so the search could continue and the aircraft to be found. After all, small fortunes were spent in finding the African Airways 747 in the Indian Ocean and the Air France Airbus A330 in the Atlantic.

Once the flight data recorders were found, safety was improved. It is unlikely that form of accident would happen again.

Yes, I know, lots of readers here believe it was a simple (if you could call it that) murder/suicide and nothing will be learnt from finding the aircraft. However, anyone who flies, and anyone who has relatives who fly, should be very wary. There is a chance that the Qantas pilot is correct and there is a problem with the aircraft.

I ask everyone to support me in a campaign to get the search going again (this time probably in the correct area would be a good idea), find the flight data recorders, and show that we are really interested in passenger safety.

No, of course! I have suddenly realised – this won’t be paid for by general aviation. Ten cents on an air ticket could mean ten cents less profit per air ticket by the airlines, so they will completely stop this from happening.

I wonder if the Minister will stand up to the powerful and truely put safety as the most important consideration ?

Last edited by Dick Smith; 27th Feb 2019 at 05:42.