PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAW492 diversion at Gibraltar
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2019, 16:44
DaveReidUK

Received 201 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Magplug
Making an approach to 09 at GIB with a strong wind out of the east is very demanding. With the draconian airspace restrictions imposed by the Spanish (purely for political reasons) aircraft are forced to fly northbound on a right base for 09 where they are directly downwind of the rock at a height where they are in in extremely turbulent air. Gibraltar requires great respect from the pilot, particularly with regard to wind limitations. In this case the surface wind was quite within limits but the turbulence generated by the stronger 1000' wind on base leg can be so strong that it feels like your teeth are going to fall out just as you fly abeam the dockyard. Passengers.... Welcome to the world of the over-paid and under-worked pilot. On the days where I earn my money - you really would not like to be sat behind me!

As you can see from the graphic, the turbulence that lies just west of the rock in strong easterly winds could be completely avoided by the Spanish permitting straight-in approaches over Algeciras on days like this.

Politics standing in the way of Flight Safety... Who would have thought it!

Plot of yesterday's actual track:

Needless to say, the ADS-B data is too coarse to be able to see any short-period oscillations. One thing it does show is that, understandably, keeping clear of Spanish airspace wasn't a high priority under the circumstances.

I deliberately haven't shown a vertical profile because, as referred to in a previous post, the data does contain a "0 ft" point (not on the runway, as was suggested, but at about 1.6 nm short of the threshold). That, of course, doesn't mean it's bad data, simply that it's showing pressure altitude (i.e. FL0) relative to 1013.2 hPa and not height AMSL, which makes plotting in 3D somewhat academic (though it does indicate approximately where the GA was initiated).