PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety around propellers
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2019, 23:09
Donkey9871

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail rotors also bite

In just over 12 years at first line on helicoptors I saw a number of close calls with tail rotors, fortunately only had one myself due to a Wesex pilot turning before the marshaller gave the signal during a 3 ship 'formation' taxi landing and shut down. At 6'2" it was frighteningly close to my head. Towards the end of my helicoptor first line experience I worked on flat tops in the dark. You know that the tail rotor is there, you can hear it and feel the turbulence from it, you know it is at head hight but can't see a thing. When attaching the tail lashings to a running helicopter the drill is to monkey walk in, knees bent head down, attach the lashing to the ac lashing point and crawl out to the elephant's foot lashing point. Used to scare the last meal I ate out of me every time. How more fatalities don't occur is a mystery and a credit to the training and professionalism of those who operate as ground crew on embarked helicoptors. There is nowhere as dark as a flight deck out in the ocean under 'darkened ship' conditions. The most effecient killing machine known to man has to be the tail rotor of a helicopter, the final twist being a helicoptor tail rotor under 'darkened ship' conditions in a heavy sea. Having said that they tend not to start of their own accord like props on piston engined ac can and do.