PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 25th Feb 2019, 16:30
martinebrangan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did he enter the sea in a spin?

Reading about the outer aspects of wings, tailane and fin off main bodies (connected by the cables running through) of wreckage, and looking at suggested rate of final descent it suggests to me that this may perhaps have resulted from a spinning entry to the water. The ascents and descents suggest to me that the pilot was disorientated and distracted in his quest to avoid weather and remain visual, and probably seriously distracted/disorientated by a heavy shower blocking his visibility. I would imagine such might result from little training or experience in night flying. He did admit, per FB, to being a little rusty on the autopilot, which would not have helped the situation. The investigation will find the likely cause, whatever it was. Even if no payment was involved, other than basic the cost of hiring the aircraft, airport fees and fuel, I should imagine any private pilot would be most enthusiastic about flying a sports or any VIP in a beautiful, and airworthy aircraft from abroad to back home, with every hope of being able to remain visual on a route which doesn’t traverse high mountains. RIP to them both.