PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(A) with an SSEA rating
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2019, 15:41
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I wrote the word "effectively" which is correct. I did not write it is now "the same" as the NPPL.

The UK PPL is limited to fly those aircraft not recognised (no semantics please) by EASA. The vast majority of aircraft available to the average PPL to hire have an EASA C of A and not available to the non EASA licence holders, that is my point. Because the UK PPL is no longer valid on these EASA aircraft it is limiting, in effect, to the to that of the NPPL in most if not all respects. I appreciate this is not not true for all PPL holders, those with the deepest pockets. The average PPL does not have the access to the often, large, sometimes complex types with a UK issued national C of A. There are relatively few of these aircraft which can be expensive to operate. Most will only aspire to flying small LAA permit aircraft.

I agree that the UK PPL is ICAO compliant but why then has the UK restricted these licences from being fully used in the UK? Why would a state outside of the EU recognise the UK PPL for its full purpose when the UK itself does not?.

I will interested to know of what countries still accept the UK PPL.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 24th Feb 2019 at 15:52.