PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 CDFA LNAV NAV/FPA
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2019, 14:58
migueloliv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
Hi,

do not confuse a CDFA with a constant descent with no intermediate level offs. A CDFA stands for Continuous Descent Final Approach and, as the name suggests, it starts at the FAF and it means that You will fly down to the minima with a constant angle and no level offs in between (that is the opposite, for example, of flying the so called "dive and drive" where You plunge to the minima straight from the FAF and wait for the MAPt), which is basically what You always do in both managed and selected approaches. If You are making Your way down to the FAF in V/S just switch to TRK/FPA 1 NM before it so that You will be fine to pull Your FPA 0.3 NM before. Consider also that in those circumstances leading You to fly a NPA in NAV/FPA, You may well allow Yourself to fly levelled a couple of miles before the FAF in order to grant the early stabilisation (that is SOPs for example for several operators).
From what I understand what my airline wants is that we fly a constant descend to FAF from TOC using V/S to control our descent rate and never leveling off. Then a decelerated approach (so no level flight a couple of miles before). If I’m descending in V/S and press the FPV won’t the aircraft revert to a equivalent FPA of my current V/S? In that case would I still turn on the FPV 1 mile before then at 0.3 id just turn the FPA knob?