PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retro 747 BOAC
Thread: Retro 747 BOAC
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 16:13
cessnapete

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter47
As a matter of interest was the level of deadheading common throughout the network or only certain routes? And what proportion of time was spent off-schedule? I presume that a lot positioning was required to cope with diversions and delays which were probably more common back then.

Also roughly how many nights away from home did cabin crew spend each year in thew 70s. I suspect that crews don't spend any longer away these days but fly many more productive hours.

Also a question for BEA (Back Every Night) crews. Looking at the schedules there appears to be far less overnighting at back stations back then. Did BEA cabin crews spend many nights away. (I believe that pilots flying Internal German Services would have stayed away more but most of the CC were locals.)

Another memory of early BOAC 747 -136 introduction. The short Conversion course necessary to get the aircraft into service promptly. A very "need to know" tech course, compared to my previous VC10 course, after which I reckon I could build one. ie The 747 has four engines, they're under the wing, started like this ,stopped like this , if it catches fire do this....end of.
Base training at Shannon, no ZFT Sims. 21 landings, including a run over the sea off, and below, the Cliffs of Moher.
One four sector Route Training trip (JFK BDA JFK, Route Check back to LHR) and on the next trip, supervising another pilot on his first trip. We were either all aces, or perhaps more likely, the 747 was so so easy to operate!
Although, for the first year or so we became very adept at engine out landings due to the ongoing JT9 surge problems.