PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Durham Tees Valley-7
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2019, 00:17
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Brian Clough International' would be good Joking aside, they would still need a geographical name as in the case of John Lennon and George Best airports. 'Teesside' didn't do them a great deal of harm for the many years it was called that, although the name 'Middlesbrough' might be better known internationally
Oh yeah had forgotten about good old Cloughie! Agree that Middlesbrough should be in the name.

Are TUI going to come back after being given the elbow not so many moons ago? They helped to give Teesside it's core bucket and spade business, I believe schedule flights will be harder to find in the short term. Heathrow would seem to be a long way off at returning, Dublin and Brussels might work, however a low cost airline is the only solution as far as I can see.
Regretably, Heathrow is a long way off, but it's needed to connect the area to the world and to the businesses of the Thames Valley.

We are going round in circles again, but the mayor sold the deal on connecting Teesside businesses to the world, not cheap holidays for voters.=left
=left
So what would a loco be the solution to?
Why can't it be a bit of both if TUI was willing to come back? Take what you can get to rebuild the airport.

They mayor might have sold it as connecting Teesside businesses to the world but voters probably went to the ballot box thinking of cheap holidays.
Doesn't matter if it brings business to the airport. Everyone's a winner?

As a Londoner who is a regular visitor to Durham, on every trip these days I lament the loss of the LHR-MME service on British Midland Airways (not the confused mess bmi became). It would be amazing if it came back but somehow I doubt BA would ever even consider it but maybe it might be tested out be the new incarnation of FlyBe which seems to be becoming know ans Virgin Connect. Hopefully a couple of services a day on a DH8 would be sustainable and at least as profitable as their current LHR-EDI and LHR-ABZ operations where they are using a DH8 up against BA A320s.=left
=left
Here's hoping.
Me too, also used the British Midland service a few times visiting friends, bloody convenient!

Any remedy slots left for this? Not convinced that all 14 are being used. Might have been a better idea than duplicating existing routes......What about a PSO arrangement?

PS how to get rid of all the extra bits in the quoted text. Doesn't appear till the post is saved, and unable to edit out.